Welcome to the Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Clinic.
STDs are infections that can be transmitted person to person through sexual contact. Testing and treatment of STDs helps prevent potentially serious risks to your health and reduces the risk of transmission to others. The information provided below will answer many of the questions you may have. Clinic staff is available to assist you and provide additional information during your scheduled appointment.
Your visit is confidential.
At the time of your appointment, you will be asked to:
• Present a photo ID (i.e., a valid state ID, driver’s license, school or work ID),
• Provide a brief medical history, and
• Turn your cell phone or any other telecommunication device off.
There is a fee for service. See costs below.
• All services are provided on a sliding fee scale.
• We are able to accept Medicaid, Meridian, Medicare and some private insurance.
• Herpes testing is available for an additional fee.
• Payment is required at time of service.
• A clinician may perform a brief examination or request a urine specimen after reviewing your medical history.
• HIV testing is voluntary.
• Blood will likely be drawn from your arm for Syphilis and HIV testing.
• After your examination, you will be asked to return to the waiting room to await your test results.
Test Results and Treatment
• An STD counselor will discuss preliminary test findings, explain treatment you may need and how to prevent
reinfection and transmitting infection(s) to others.
• HIV test results will be provided verbally (not in writing).
• Treatment may be given for some infections during your visit.
• Treatment may be delayed for certain infections until your test results come back from the lab. A counselor will
give you a date to call 815-720-4050 for your test results.
• If you are given an injection, you may be asked to wait 20 - 30 minutes before leaving. This is to make sure you
do not have any reaction to the medicine.
• If you are given medication to take home, make sure you understand how to take it before leaving and be sure to
finish it even after your symptoms go away.
• If eligible, you may be offered to receive the first in a series of immunizations to protect you against Hepatitis A and
• You will be asked about the number of sexual partners you’ve had in the past two (2) months and if they are in
clinic with you. If you have an infection, your partner(s) need to be tested too.
• If your partner(s) are not with you in clinic, you will be asked to have your partner(s) come to a clinic for testing or
contact us about testing.
Winnebago County Health Department
Services available to anyone over the age of 12.
- All services are provided on a sliding fee scale of $15 to $180 based
|How do I access services?||
Services are provided by appointment only.
8:00am - 5:00pm Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri
STD Checkup: www.stdcheckup.org
STD treatment guidelines: www.cdc.gov/std/treatment
HPV Vaccine: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/hpv/default.htm
A to Z list: www.idph.state.il.us/a-zlist.htm