Community Health Promotion
The World Health Organization (WHO) definition of Health Promotion is "the process of enabling people to increase control over, and to improve, their health. It moves beyond a focus on individual behavior towards a wide range of social and environmental interventions."
At WCHD, we want our Winnebago County residents to understand:
• How to obtain good health
• Where to access good health information, skills, and places to achieve good health
• How to develop and live a new healthy lifestyle that will impact not only their own individual life, but their families' lives, friend's
lives, and the entire community
Within the Health Promotion Department, we are:
• Monitoring community health problems
• Assisting communities in determining what hazards prevent them from living a healthy lifestyle
• Informing, educating, and empowering individuals and community members about good health
• Participating with community partners to identify problems and develop solutions to health problems experienced by community
• Working with community partners to develop community wide policies that support individual and community choices for healthy
places to live, work, and play
• Assisting with enforcement of local community laws and regulations that help all community members stay healthy
• Linking community members to needed personal health services and assuring that health services are available within their
community to access
• Evaluating quality of community health programs and services within the community
• Continually looking for new and innovative solutions to community health problems in conjuction with community partners
To find out more about how health promotion policies and activities can impact your neighborhood, school, workplace, and community, please contact 815-720-4000 and ask for the Health Promotion Department.
Our Health Promotion Department will provide direction and support for individuals and communities who are looking for ideas, solutions, and policies that will provide for the development of healthy lifestyle choices.