Date: December 28, 2017
Due to high influenza (flu) activity in the Rock River Region, Mercyhealth, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, and SwedishAmerican are implementing temporary visitor restrictions policies that include:
• Restricting visitation by persons less than 18 years of age;
• Limiting the number of visitors to two per patient at any one time;
• Practicing proper hand hygiene and respiratory hygiene/cough etiquette;
• Requesting that visitors who are ill avoid contact with people who are at risk; and
• Implementing healthcare worker precautions including vaccination and masking.
Individuals infected with the flu virus often feel some or all of these symptoms which come on suddenly:
• Fever or feeling feverish/chills
• Sore throat
• Runny or stuffy nose
• Muscle or body aches
• Fatigue (tiredness)
• Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
The Winnebago County Health Departments reminds everyone:
• People who are ill should avoid contact with people who are at risk.
• It’s not too late to vaccinate against influenza.
• Practice proper hygiene by covering coughs, cleaning hands often, and staying home when sick. (CLEAN, COVER, CONTAIN)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - https://www.cdc.gov/flu/index.htm
Illinois Department of Public Health - http://www.dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/diseases-and-conditions/influenza
Winnebago County Health Department - http://www.wchd.org/