- Drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol and sugary drinks.
- Wear lightweight, light colored, loose-fitting clothes.
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors.
- Stay cool in an air conditioned area.
- If you do not have an air conditioner, visit a senior center, a shopping mall, a public library or a friend who has air conditioning.
During excessive heat events when the National Weather Service has declared an Excessive Heat Advisory or Warning, there are locations in Winnebago and Boone County that are open to the public and have air conditioning (Cooling Centers) were residents are encouraged to go to recover from the heat. Click here for a list of Cooling Centers available for the summer of 2018