Quitting smoking, vaping, and other tobacco related products is an important step you can take to improve your health.
Nicotine addiction can make it hard to quit, but there are proven treatments that can help. Whether you are thinking about quitting or ready to quit now, the Winnebago County Health Department (WCHD) can help you on your journey.
Quitting tobacco and vaping products¹:
- Improves health status and enhances quality of life
- Reduces the risk of premature death and can add as much as 10 years to your life expectancy
- Reduces the risk for many adverse health effects, including poor reproductive health outcomes, cardiovascular diseases, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and cancer.
- Benefits people already diagnosed with coronary heart disease or COPD
- Benefits the health of pregnant women and their fetuses and babies
- Reduces the financial burden that smoking places on those who smoke, healthcare systems, and society.
Quitting smoking protects family members, coworkers, friends, and others from the health risks associated with breathing secondhand smoke.¹
Time To Quit
Ready to quit but not sure where to start? Not sure if you are ready? The Illinois Tobacco Quitline can help. Go to the website for information and tips on quitting or call the hotline. The Illinois Tobacco Quitline (ITQL) provides free tobacco and vaping cessation services to all Illinois residents 13 years of age and older.
Call WCHD's Tobacco Prevention Specialist at 815-720-4000 and let us help you begin your journey, or utilize the resources listed below:
Illinois Tobacco Quitline
Go Online To: www.quityes.org
Quitline Hours: Monday -Friday 7 AM - 9 PM, Saturday & Sunday 9 AM - 5-PM
Not an Illinois resident? Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) to get connected to your state's quitline.
Information and information on quitting for better health.
Free online information and Tools & Tips to get smoke-free and stay smoke-free.
Texting & Apps:
The Text and Phone App Programs are offered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service's National Cancer Intitute's Smokefree.gov
Receive encouraging Text Messages daily to support you in quiting smoking and a "keyword" you can use when you need extra support. Those ages 13 years and older can sign up.
To sign up, text QUIT to 47848
or go online to: SmokefreeTXT Enrollment (https://smokefree.gov/tools-tips/text-programs/quit-for-good/smokefreetxt) and complete a form.
GET THE quitSTART App
A free smartphone app that helps you quit smoking with tailored tips, inspiration and challenges.