The COVID-19 Vaccine can help protect you from getting COVID-19 and from getting seriously ill if you do get COVID-19. To get the COVID-19 vaccine, register and make an appointment or walk-in during scheduled walk-in hours. All Winnebago County residents 5 and older can schedule a COVID-19 vaccine. Those under age 18 need consent of a parent/guardian.
Help your family, friends, and neighbors register for the COVID-19 vaccine too.
Make An Appointment at the following Winnebago County Health Department Community Vaccination Sites:
- Tuesday, December 6, 1:00pm – 5:00pm at Haskell Elementary, 515 Maple St., Rockford
- Wednesday, December 8, 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm at WCHD, 555 N Court St, Rockford
- Thursday, December 9, 8:00 am – 11:00 am at WCHD, 555 N Court St, Rockford
- Thursday, December 9, 1:00 pm – 5:00 am at Cherry Valley Elementary, 6754 Armer Dr. Rockford
- Friday, December 10, 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm at Hononegah Community High School
- Saturday, December 11, 8:00pm – noon at WCHD, 555 N. Court St.
- Check Back For Upcoming Dates - Additional Dates To Be Added on Friday
This additional dose is intended to improve immunocompromised people’s response to their initial vaccine series. A full set of conditions included in this recommendation can be found on the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html.
- Those who received their first series with WCHD and indicated that they were immunocompromised when they registered will receive an email from WCHD to schedule their additional dose
Click here to edit the medical history portion of your registration if you received your first series with WCHD and have since become immunocompromised
Click here to register if you are immunocompromised individuals who did not receive their first vaccine series with WCHD
The COVID-19 booster shot guards against waning protection from the vaccine over time. Based on Guidance from the Illinois Department of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), WCHD will offer the booster shot by appointment to those eligible. COVID-19 vaccine is widely available in the community. You may receive your booster shot from your healthcare system or local pharmacy. If you would like to receive your COVID-19 vaccine booster shot from WCHD, Click Here To Register for Booster Shot
- Those who completed their Pfizer or Moderna series at least 6 months ago and are 18+:
- Everyone who received a Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine at least 2 months ago.
Individuals may choose which vaccine they receive as a booster shot, based on availability.
When you receive your first COVID-19 vaccination, you should receive a CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card. WCHD does not replace CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Cards. To get a copy of your vaccination record, go to the IDPH VaxVerify at https://idphportal.illinois.gov/ and follow the registration process to gain direct access to your immunization records. For Illinois Residents 18+. If you choose to opt out of the I-CARE registry,then you will not have access to your immunization record through the Vax Verify system.
COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution
- Currently, the Winnebago County Health Department is vaccinating those 5 and older.
- Those under 18 must have a parent or guardian register them and the guardian must be present with them at the time of vaccination.
- Register online to make an appointment or walk up to one of the moblie vaccination clinics
- After you get your vaccine:
- Hold onto your vaccine card and keep it in a safe place, since it cannot be replaced at this time.
- Help share in the moment by using #VaxUpIL and #VaxUp815.
- If you received Pfizer or Moderna, both require a 2nd dose. You will receive another email to schedule your second dose.
COVID-19 Population Vaccination Plan:
Note: The vaccination plan continues to be revised as new and additional information is assessed and utilized to update the plans. Check back for updated versions of the plan.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Resources For Healthcare Providers:
- CDC Resources for Healthcare Providers on COVID-19 Vaccine
- FAQs for Healthcare Provider on COVID-19 Vaccine
- FDA Emergency Use Authorization
- Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices - COVID-19 Vaccine Recommendations
- CDC Healthcare Training Module for Healthcare Providers
- Talking to your patients about the COVID-19 Vaccine